Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Savitrine Glassworks begins....



So let’s just go back a little and start the story. I am lucky enough to have a printing press, a kiln, a workable studio area in the roof space and time to indulge in exploring my creative side. I have always painted or made prints and have enjoyed it immensely. I was given an opportunity to do a glass fusing course two years ago though it took a year to get onto a suitable course. I attended a one-day session with Dagmar Ackerman in May 2010 and became hooked. After some experimentation I have developed an affinity with glass and it is now my medium of choice. If confirmation were needed it came at a three day intensive master class with American glass legend Patty Gray in March 2011. Patty is knowledgeable, patient, inspirational but above all generous with her time and feedback. She has given me the confidence to experiment further and to just get on with it!

Appropriately for kiln fired glass work Savitrine means "of the sun" in Sanskrit and is also a (terrible) play on words. Sa vitrine is "his shop window" in French. Kiln fired glass started as a hobby, became a passion and now a business.

I entered two pieces at the RAS Easter Show and two more at the Sydney Family Show. No sales but my pieces held their own and it was a great opportunity to hear some feedback and confirm that my pricing was right. Out of the blue the Spirit exhibition at TAP Gallery in Darlinghurst came up as an opportunity to show four pieces. Again no sales but fantastic feedback from other artists and the gallery manager who suggested holding a solo show later in the year. Add to that two commissions from a very special friend and muse and I am off on an exciting journey.

It wont be easy and I will have to balance the necessity to sell functional plates and bowls with more creative art glass. The Savitrine Glassworks business plan is almost done and there are many challenges ahead but I am confident that I can supplement my income from the farm and earn a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment